Prefix Your Marketing With A “Co”
Yes I know you thought Social was the prefix of the moment, but let me enlighten you. Social is cool. Social Business is the big noise. Social Business like so many things has layers, So let’s peel that onion together. Or Co-Peel it. Are you ready? It’s my strong belief that “Co” is the word of the moment.
It’s much bigger than “Social” because it’s not just a word, it’s a prefix. Co enhances just about everything it touches, but first back to Social. Try “Co” as a prefix to all your marketing activities. How can you co-operate with others on each activity? Who can be in your collective? How are you using Social Media tools to grow your collaboration pool?
My Granddad used to say “Cream spoils nothing but your waistcoat“. To paraphrase in social business speak ”Co spoils nothing but your foe“.
So let’s peel back the layers of the Social Onion. What lies beneath Social Business? What is Social Marketing? Who’s on your Social Team? What if Marketing got Social with other Businesses as well as the Crowd, the Community and your Colleagues? Why limit yourself to your current thinking? Think big or go home I say. Sharing isn’t just for consumers!
Peeling back the layers of a social onion is never comfortable. If you aren’t uncomfortable, you aren’t growing! Where does Social Marketing fit in Social Business? According to IBM
- A Social Business is engaged—deeply connecting people, including customers, employees, and partners, to be involved in productive, efficient ways.
- A Social Business is transparent—removing boundaries to information, experts and assets, helping people align every action to drive business results.
- A Social Business is nimble—speeding up business with information and insight to anticipate and address evolving opportunities.
What if marketing got engaged, transparent and nimble? What if marketing made your cry with tears of joy. What if you got more. More content, more amplification and more re-use. You get more when more people care. More people care when more people contribute. That’s the way life works. More in = more out. This is not about you and what you want. It’s not about your costs (and reducing them), it’s about getting people emotionally involved in your outcome. It’s about making them cry with joy too.
Businesses need to take their cue from consumers, they are now dictating at a rapid pace, their expectations, wants and needs. Hyper-connected communities are naturally sharing and collaborating. So draw in those collaborators and utilize their content in a clear, clean manner with complete transparency. Co is the ultimate prefix.
What if many businesses helped each other you in achieving their goals? CoAction is the new Action. Co is the new cool prefix, just look at Consumers!
- Co-Promotion trumps solo-promotion (ie share promotional activity/budget and lead generation with other Social-Business-Minded Collaborators).
- Co-Creation – When it comes to Content actively manage your mix – “Sharing” vs “Curation” vs “Creation“. (i.e. think about where your content comes from – creation is expensive and not the only option)
- Co-Ownnership – Today, we all own the results. Use Social Tools to find/engage the right partners (co-owners) to share the prize. Measure the value of their content from concise data analysis. Be sure you picked the right partners
- Co-Measurement- Measure and be Measured. Work together to repeat success and learn from failure
This IDC study really supports these arguments (simpler i.e.less friction, leverage external relationships etc)
So how much “Co” have you tried lately? How uncomfortable is this making you feel. How much Co do you have in your soul? Are you ready to peel open your social onion? Don’t do it alone. Co-Peel. I dare you! You will be surprised in the results. The you is bigger than you think!
Image Credit: triniedee via Flickr.com and Creative Commons